This page will offer a review of the most significant resource links used to investigate our English Sambell/Sambells ancestors. Following the steps will make your initial searches efficient and productive. Highlight explanations included here will cover:
- Genealogical Gateway Websites (a list of sites to start your research on the Web) – On line Genealogy Data
- Record Office Online Catalogue Indexes
Suggest a resource to add to the list
Getting your research started
The internet has now made it possible for the most inexperienced family historian to research their genealogy from the comfort of their own home. For the novice researcher where to actually begin can be bewildering. The best place to start researching your family history ie surname, county or parish of origin etc. is to start with genealogical gateway sites that offer a compilation of links to other websites that fit your particular category of interest. Three of these include:
- Cyndi’s List is the most well known of the genealogy gateway sites. Start with the categories to narrow your search topic to specific theme links.
- The Genealogy Home Page is another similar site.
- Ancestor Hunt is another gateway that provides links to a variety of search engines and resources. The catalogue on the home page claims to offer “the best and largest free genealogy databases online.”
Take time to explore what these sites have to offer and test out some of the links that may be of interest to you. Don’t forget to bookmark the ones in which you find success.